More from the sucksters

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com
Wed Dec 22 08:17:46 PST 1999

>How about my notion that defaults on this loans were an important
contributor
>to US development, by removing the need to run a current account surplus
>service the debts? Right, wrong, exaggerated?

dunno. Brad DeLong almost certainly knows.

But for the general case, I remember an article by Barry Eichengreen which certainly established that during the bond defaults of the 1930s, countries enjoyed a measurable gain in economic welfare from defaulting (ie those that defaulted did better than those that didn't). He also wrote something (it sez 'ere) called "Financing Infrastructure in Developing Countries: Lessons from the Railway Age" which might give you the answer. Refs from

http://haas.berkeley.edu/groups/iber/wps/econabs.html

dd

DANIEL.DAVIES at flemings.com wrote:

> >(and
> >was funded almost entirely by European
> >financiers until late in the century).
> >

> As an employee of the company formerly known as Robert Fleming's Scottish
> American Investment Trust, I can vouch for this point, but no others.
>
> dd

-- Enrique Diaz-Alvarez Office # (607) 255 5034 Electrical Engineering Home # (607) 272 4808 112 Phillips Hall Fax # (607) 255 4565 Cornell University mailto:enrique at ee.cornell.edu Ithaca, NY 14853 http://peta.ee.cornell.edu/~enrique

_____

This email is confidential to the ordinary user of the

e-mail address to which it was addressed. If you are not

the intended recipient, please notify the sender

immediately on (44) 171 638 5858 and delete the message

from all locations in your computer. You should not copy

this email or use it for any purpose, or disclose its

contents to any person : to do so may be unlawful.

Email is an informal method of communication and is

subject to possible data corruption, either accidentally

or on purpose. Flemings is unable to exercise control

over the content of information contained in

transmissions made via the Internet. For these reasons

it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information

contained on email without obtaining written confirmation

of it.

_____