China & Its Critics (was RE: Who Killed Vincent Chin?)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 22 15:34:32 PST 1999

Doug:
>>As to China's current economic policy, the facts you cite don't
>>amount to an argument that the current government in China is not
>>remotely admirable. What would be the circumstance of the workers
>>you mention if they didn't work for pennies ? Would they be even
>>poorer as peasants or in some other status ?
>
>If any government other than China's were involved, you'd be
>condemning it. Try substituting "Brazil" or "India" for "China," and
>see if it feels any different.

Without the Chinese government's pragmatically repressive management toward capitalist development, wouldn't China be "Russia"? Chinese workers' option is a choice not between China and "Sweden" but between China and "Russia," it seems to me.

If Chinese workers managed to develop a strong "independent" union, with "international solidarity" from AFL-CIO and assorted left-wing intellectuals, it would be something like the Polish Solidarity, and it would probably end up playing the same role in "transition," and workers would be sold down the river later.

Between Scylla and Charybdis, no?

Yoshie