Who Killed Vincent Chin? (was Barkley on WTO, etc)

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Dec 23 08:54:59 PST 1999

David Levy -- a libertarian -- is completing a book on the racial views of early English economists and their critics -- people, such as Ruskin. The famous early economists tended not to be racist (exactly). They believed that all raises could be "lifted" to be like the English. Many of the critics approved of slavery because they believed the non-British (not just Blacks or Asians) to be fundmentally inferior.

I don't buy his story all the way, but it is a useful counterpoint to the simple identification of racism and capitalism. Capitalism has been willing and able to use racism very effectively, but it is always ready to exploit any people it can find regardless of race. I have always been struck by the way that the early characterizations of the Irish resembled the racist image of Blacks.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu