Migration, Etc. (was Re: Wen Ho Lee Support)

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Thu Dec 23 09:13:25 PST 1999

> in mid-october, there were moves to get the AFL-CIO to
> support the declaration of an amnesty and to reverse many of the sanctions
> relating to undocumented workers. no mention of this at all in the final
> policy. fine, so many things were won. but it remains the case that when
> it came to issues such as these, the AFL-CIO pulled back.
> Angela

If memory serves, leadership 'arranged' for brief debate before sending resolution on above to public policy committee. I understood agreement that leadership made with farmworker, garment, hotel, janitorial, and restaurant delegates supporting resolution to include 'town hall' meetings in Atlanta, Chicago, LA & NYC before year's end, after which a report is to be filed with executive council for possible January vote. Any listers have updates - have/are meetings been/being held? No movement on this matter relegates it to functional equivalent of 'non-decision' (refusal to place certain questions on decision-making agenda).

Michael Hoover