legal changes

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Dec 23 16:17:22 PST 1999

[A friend writes... Can any legal experts on the list help him out? - Doug]

I'm wondering where I could find a good, and ideally concise, summary of the major federal legal changes from the late '70s to the late '80s that make up what we all refer to as "financial deregulation". You know -- stuff like raising the FDIC insured account max to $100k, expanding the types of investments S+Ls could make, and so on. Ideally this summary would also include plant-closure laws (if any), tax laws encouraging firms to move plants offshore, and so on.

I need this b/c a chapter of my diss (on neoliberalism) concerns the rise of the finance and producer-service sectors, not only in terms of their growing share of total corporate profits since 1980, but also their growing influence in managing, facilitating and profiting off of the activities of the other sectors (i.e. getting rich by lending $$$ to a manufacturing company so it can do a takeover of another mfg company).

I know this is a tall order, but if anyone knows of a good source, it's you. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, and merry xmas/happy soltice and all that.