Reaction to the patenting of "one click purchasing" by Amazon.com

Steve Grube grube at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 27 20:22:19 PST 1999

You say the idea is obvious, maybe it is, but the patent doesn't give Amazon the *right* to use it, it merely gives them the right to *exclude* others from using it. If they use it (as they are) and someone else believes it infringes on a *prior* patent then Amazon is vulnerable to showing they do not infringe prior art or a prior patent. This is a crucial point about what rights a patent confers. Also, the criticism of "obvious" you make should be put in the context of patent language. The hurdles an inventor faces can be explained by the "patent pyramid" that has to be climbed: 1) the invention must fit into one of the statute categories 2) it must new/novel 3) it must have utility 4) it must be non-obvious to someone practiced in the art. This last category is the one you are screaming foul over--you may be right. It is the hardest to satisfy. (I just got notice from Washington that my claims have

been accepted on a high-speed, data-driven cutting

center and so a patent will issue in a couple of months

so I feel I'm up to date on this somewhat)