Initiation, or, "To Separate the Analysand from the Herd"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 28 14:59:53 PST 1999

Doug:
>>I take Lacan's claim to be "the most orthodox" of Freudians seriously
>Why?

In the sense that Lacan offers the purest form of the technologies of the self, which all varieties of psychoanalysis are.

>Even though Lacan, for all his charms,
>was at least a bit of a faker? Even though many other orthodox
>Freudians, including those who expelled him from the realm of the
>orthodox, would disagree? Even though the whole aspiration towards
>being an orthodox Freudian - like that towards being an orthodox
>Marxist - is more than a little bizarre?

Schisms and anathemas in psychoanalysis -- which existed before Lacan -- come from the fact that it is "a confession." It is instructive that those who left and denounced Marxism thought of it as the "God That Failed." Those of us who remain Marxist don't think of Marx as "God."

Yoshie