Initiation, or, "To Separate the Analysand from the Herd"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Dec 28 15:37:23 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Schisms and anathemas in psychoanalysis -- which existed before Lacan --
>come from the fact that it is "a confession." It is instructive that those
>who left and denounced Marxism thought of it as the "God That Failed."
>Those of us who remain Marxist don't think of Marx as "God."

So where do all the schisms in Marxism come from? And is there no trace of the scriptural in the way Marxists who aspire to orthodoxy look for backing in the sacred texts? And nothing of canon-formation in the process of certifying Marxian texts after Marx? And nothing of heresy-searching in the way some people (and here I'm speaking from personal experience) are judged on whether they're loyal or not?

Doug