Naderites Craft "Fix It or Nix It"/Milliken, Barr, Unruh and Walzer

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Fri Dec 31 15:42:41 PST 1999

Michael P. wrote:
> (And as long as I'm on Howe [since a mini->thread is going on there too]
and
>Walzer, another college friend after reading >Walzer's, "Just and Unjust
>Wars," quipped that Michael was against all >wars, except those against
Palestinians.)

Brad De Long replied:
>And Nazis, and slaveholders.

I didn't say I thought was a fair summary of Walzer's take on "just war" theory.Though Chomsky is scathing on Howe and Walzer, South End Press has a new edition of one of Noam's works on the Middle East, take a look see. My friend was making a joke, and was active in Palestinian solidarity work, aqlways had his kaffiya, barbed wire scarf on. His brother I knew much better, more personable, was in the Maoist group, League of Revolutionary Struggle, now a Derridean, after grad school, Yale English Dept. His first book is, "Phantom Communities: The Simulacrum and the Limits of Postmodernism, "by Scott Durham.

Michael Perelman wrote:
>I think you have to be careful in criticizing >Ralph Nader on the basis of
his
>source of funding. I think you can make >common cause with a person on a
>particular issue without sharing that person's >entire agenda. For
example, the
>person in Congress who recently has been >making the strongest case for
personal
>freedom may well be Bob Barr, who may >generously be characterized as a
>right-wing nut.

Jesse Unruh, a legendary politico in California politics in the 60's and 70's, had a great line about money and politics, "If you can't take their money, drink their liquor, and screw their whores, and then vote against them, what good are you!" Obviously, if the Naderites, want to take right-wing cash, and then use it for progressive ends, more power to them. Guess I'm a Missourian on this, show me. Keep their feet to the fire, however. Left-liberal foundation dollars have strings attached, as well, as I'm sure all lbo'ers would agree. The Nation, had a good piece on this awhile ago, and the San Francisco Bay Guardian had a major package of stories about a year ago on this.

And on Bob Barr, he has spoken up on the NSA Echelon surveillance and the "Urban Warrior" domestic counter-insurgency exercises. Where are the voices of members of the House Progressive Caucus on these two civil liberties/militarism issues. Just posted a reply to Sol Dollinger post on Marxism-list, that quoted a Washington Times story on "Urban Warrior" that featured Bob Barr's objections. First part was SF Bay Guardian stories on Oakland, Ca. exercises. http://www.marxmail.org/archives/Dec1999/date16.html (Thread, Re:Riots and protest demonstrations)

And thanks to Doug for the quote from Lori Wallach from the special issue of the Nation. When one is so swamped in books,magazines, and e-mail, it is easy to forget something you only read a few weeks ago.

Michael Pugliese