Davos

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 3 10:21:14 PST 1999

Daniel:

My point about Lincoln was that his unity slogan is often quoted out of context. He was urging unity in the name of spreading slavery, not abolishing it. Yet, the irony is that the march of events froced him to be the president who abolished slavery in the end.

As for Gore's use of revolutionary slogans in Malaysia, it was ludicrous because Gore obviously had no understanding of the meaning of the slogans he was mouthing, to the embarrasement of many Asians who have personal identification with the terms. Gore sounded like a Mafia boss preaching law and order to a dinner of officers of the law.

As for the new Germany and the new EU, it remains to be see how it will play out. Europe has a history of disappointing betrayal of progressive potentials. Yet, the unification of Germanys offer the potential that Germany will no longer to a mere proxy of American policy in Europe. The Red/Green coalition is promising, although there are reports that the German Social Democrats are already using the Greens to neutralize the radical left within the SD movement, with the encouragment of the capitalist right. The Greens can easily go the route of the Siera Club.

Henry