Sadie Plant

Lucky Pierre j-harsin at nwu.edu
Thu Feb 4 07:32:20 PST 1999

Rakesh: My undergrad senior thesis (1992) was on the Situationist Intl. (I read the Plant book, unfortunately, just after I had finished it). At the time, I thought Plant's criticisms of pomo were helpful, though I found it to be a bit dry compared to the dionysianism of the situs themselves. But I don't remember running across this Jean Barrot critique you speak of. Where can I find it. Just curious. Thanks. Jayson
>> I think all her cybergrrrl stuff is cut from the same cloth. She's
>> also the author of a surprizingly dull book on the Situationist
>> International.
>
>Curtiss, I liked that Plant book, esp the comparison between debored and
>baurdillard. Plant also mentioned this cool cat named Rene Vienet, I think.
>Having forgotten my Chipp intro to modern art, I would have been lost in
>the Duchamp corridor at the Philly museum if I hadn't read Plant's helpful
>discussion of surrealism in her genealogy of situationism. And her
>discussion of how situationist insights are at the root of some postmodern
>insights is quite helpful too. She also qutoes Debord: this is "the first
>time in contemporary Europe no party or faction of a party even tried to
>pretend that they wish to change anything sigificant." In the US this is
>called Rortyism, I believe. If you are looking for a tough critique of the
>situationists, I once read a good Marxian one by Jean Barrot.
>
>yours, rakesh

I know I'm art-i-ficial But don't put the blame on me I was reared with appliances In a consumer society[...] I wanna be instamatic I wanna be a frozen pea I wanna be dehydrated In a consumer society... --X-ray Spex (1978)