Pacifica (CounterPunch)

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 4 15:25:28 PST 1999

Doug Henwood posted:

> THE NEUTERING OF PACIFICA
> from CounterPunch, January 16-31, 1999:
>

> snip
> At least a dozen people were banned from Pacifica for publicly criticizing
> administration policies and actions. In Los Angeles, following the removal
> of radical black programmers who violated Pacifica's "dirty laundry rule"
> by airing a show discussing the treatment of black programmers at Pacifica.
> KPFK's general manager Mark Schubb posted a prohibition not only of on-air
> discussion of Pacifica policy but also of announcements of meetings at
> which Pacifica policy would be discussed.

snip

Well this has certainly scared some programmers into submission. I listen to KPFK in LA and have heard Sam Brown,who is most decidely a liberal, tell a caller who wanted to comment on other radio content that they can't make such comments on his show. I thought this a real shame since show content is often a political decision(what isn't discussed sometimes is more important than what is discussed). There has definitely been more PRI liberal type programming on KPFK as of late.

Because 99% of the radio stations carry NO left commentary at all, many not even any liberal commentary, I am appalled that even a wee bit of KPFK programming is accommodating a softer discourse because it is easier to sell to a larger audience.

Marta Russell