sloth

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Fri Feb 5 10:45:58 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I'll stop with this toxic crap soon, I promise. But I was just paging
> through the repellent Independent Women's Forum newsletter, Ex Femina. (The
> IWF is a group of professional anti-feminist women that was founded to
> defend Clarence Thomas.) In it, Midge Decter is quoted as saying: "The
> other way to the public heart is to provide us with excuses for our
> failings. That is Bill Clinton. He is the true embodiment of the state of
> our culture. His being in the White House provides the electorate with a
> blanket forgiveness for their own moral and cultural sloth."
>
> As someone pointed out somewhere, ravers like this used to denounce the
> immoralism of the pointy-heads and embrace the moral wisdom of The People.
> Now that it's clear that The People can't stand their moralizing, it's
> proof that The People are corrupt.

Aw, c,mon, Doug! Give these guys some credit.

It's damn hard work posing as friends and defenders of the common man (let alone woman!) when you've got one hand not tied behind your back exactly, but none-the-less permanently otherwise engaged in twisting the knife in THEIR back.

Bearing such an impossible burden, they're bound to get disheartened every once in a while. Like I said, it's damn hard work. And nowadays thankless work to boot!

Perhaps we should all do our part to cheer them up. Maybe declare a National Take A Consternated Conservative To Lunch Day.

But, should you choose to participate, don't forget to wear a wire. Better yet, a live webcam.

But, say. I just realized something. A moral sloth. What could be better?

And you thought Babe the talking pig was big. A reckless, irresponsible rock-n-roller, mark my words! A flash in the pan.

The smart money, the visionary money is on a far more sure, more stable character, who moves with the utmost of deliberation -- The Moral Sloth!

Boy, if Tom Tomorrow gets ahold of this...

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"