butlering along

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Sun Feb 7 13:44:49 PST 1999

omigod. i'm on deadline but HAVE to rant about this movie. What I have been trying to find out for some time is the reverse question: why did so many people LOVE it? I thought it was a totally banal boy fantasy (agree with Frances, he changes the lesbian and forever replaces women in the center of her emotional universe, thus symbolically wins, it doesn't really matter that they don't get together in the end...in fact the fantasy works even better that way because he gets to forever *believe* that it would have been perfect if he hadn't fucked it up...she returns to being an inaccessible and therefore desirable lesbian, having been booted from the rather messier day-to-day role of het girlfriend). despite the gritty alternafilm look and gritty alternalifestyle people with their interesting little black nationalisms and lesbianisms and artistic pursuits, it was classic hollywood one true hetero love metanarrative, bothering to take other possibilities into account only to dismiss them. But sooo many people thought it was "refreshing", "open",i cant even remember all the joyous adjectives. which to me just shows how little interesting discussion of any social/sexual issue appears even on the edges of the mainstream, audiences and even critics are just so starved for any kind of thoughtful analysis of sexuality that this kind of crap is cutting edge, even if all that's new is that fist-fucking is mentioned. (granted that is a bit unusual but who cares? you can rent an xxx video (hey, or "Bound") and actually see it.) what was also really banal and lame about this movie was the subjectivity thing. how we were supposed to really feel his pain about her "sordid" past (which incidentally involved having been a slut with Men, he didn't care when he thought she had only been with penis-free folks and he was the first Real dog at the hydrant...Wise Black Dude (speaking of Hollywood cliche) of course tells whitey off about that but the insight goes totally unexplored)...and we never really gave a shit about her(how could we? that Minnie Mouse voice totally cancelled out any possible empathy) even though her conflicts were potentially a lot more interesting (she gives up her whole community and social life to be with this pretty ordinary repressed guy who doesn't understand her that well but thinks she's really exotic and fascinating). In fact all the characters other than Ben Affleck's had something more interesting going on, but he was the one straight white male and his problems ALL had to do with a profound anxiety about female sexual agency so of course the whole thing had to be from his point of view. hoo boy, that was some cynical shit.

but um, if someone reelly liked it i would be genuinely curious to know why.