Mindspring censorship; abortion

Mon Feb 8 12:44:53 PST 1999

This is why , analogously, Marxists' certainty about certain issues is NOT invidious authoritarianism, totalitarianism, dogmatism, rigidity or "Stalinism". We cannot get anything accomplished, PRACTICE, unless we are and act sure and definite about somethings , sometime. How are millions of people going to listen to us if we say we "THINK' this is the way to go ? Radical change is the most authoritative thing there is. You ask people to turn society upside down. How can that be done based on iffy discourse ? If we don't know for sure, there is no chance that our ideas will grip the masses and become a material force.

Sure we expect to make mistakes. This is trial and error. That's life.

Charles Brown

>>> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> 02/08 3:17 PM >>>
Alex LoCascio insists on being backward:
>>Leftists should stop falling for this trap and start taking the need for
>>and legitimacy of abortion _for granted_.
>
>Yes, why have a reason for something as long as there's a secular
>priesthood to enforce correct thinking with a bludgeon?
>
>I once thought, perhaps naively, that the Left was free of religious
>taint...

That's hardly a reply. I'm saying that one of the Right's tactics has been to (re)set the terms of political debates by, for instance, calling our already existing legal right to abortion into question. And I say we on the left should take the need for and legitimacy of abortion for granted amongst ourselves, so as _not_ to play the Right's game and in order to discuss _more important questions_ of how to expand access to abortion while fighting off the Right. Any reason to object to this assessment of our political history and the present conjuncture beyond calling your opponents 'religious' (a meaningless statement)?

You see, Alex, what the Right does is try not to allow us to rest on what we have won and to chip away our gains whenever and wherever they can. Not allowing us to take the legitimacy of abortion for granted is one of their tactics in this area. In this regard, the left has already ceded too much ground to them and can't afford more losses.

Yoshie