Mindspring censorship; abortion

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 8 15:07:53 PST 1999

Doug wrote:
>Of course they can always call in the cops when things get messy, but most
>of the time we're all good subjects and police ourselves.

Indeed. And coming back to the subject of abortion, I'd say that we police ourselves and become good subjects by arguing with the Right on the Right's terms: "Is abortion murder?"; "Is abortion 'moral'?"; "Are pro-choicers 'rigid' and 'inflexible'?"; and ad infinitum.

Kristin Luker (whose writings you sent to this list) makes an excellent point when she writes the following: "Perhaps the most interesting thing...is the fact that modern-day subscriber to the first point of view--that abortion is always murder--have been remarkably successful in America at persuading even the opponents that their view is the more ancient and the more prevalent one" (emphasis mine). See, first the Right sets the terrain of ideology, and then they ask us to formulate our demands and justifications on that terrain. That's their game. We must refuse to play by their rules. (You must have read enough Marx & Foucault to get my point here.)

That is why I am opposed to a demand for a 'marxist justification' for the defense of women's right and access to free, safe, legal, and hassle-free abortion. Abortion doesn't have to be and should not be 'justified,' just as, say, blacks' right to vote doesn't have to be and should not be 'justified,' certainly not at this point in history, in the late, late 20th century America. It is _insulting_ to women and blacks respectively to demand such justifications. (I assume all leftists recognize how insulting the latter is, while some do not seem certain why the former is.)

Why don't we discuss, instead, Paula's practical question as to what to do about an anti-abortionists' website that publishes the names, addresses, etc. of the doctors who perform abortions while saying they are 'murderers'? So far only Gar has responded to that question.

[I'm exceeding my 3-post limit, but I hope you'll stick to your 'flexibility' principle. Place a smiley mark here.]

Yoshie -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: text/enriched Size: 2088 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19990208/d9882cea/attachment.bin>