Mindspring censorship; abortion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 8 14:07:43 PST 1999

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Are corporations not 'dogmatic' about their need for a bigger profit
>margin, a better return on investment, a business 'environment' freer from
>unions and regulations to protect workers and the environment, and so on?

Of course, but they're immensely clever about wrapping their goals in alluring disguise: profit maximization get repositioned as serving the customer, a lifetime of working to enrich the boss and the stockholders (if you're lucky enough to have a job for most of your lifetime) gets repositioned as building your portfolio of skills (or in Tom Peters' inspiring phrase, becoming your own brand). We've got a PR professional here who can tell us just how it's done - right, Carl? Like when Ivy Lee told John D Rockefeller to repackage monopoly as "cooperation."

Of course they can always call in the cops when things get messy, but most of the time we're all good subjects and police ourselves.

Doug