micro/macro [was Re: Hitchens explains]

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Feb 9 07:17:00 PST 1999

> Max, I'll see your Washington Post insider letter and raise you a Salon
> piece:
> http://www.salonmagazine.com/media/poni/1999/02/09poni.html

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

> First of all, what's up with your sentences wrapping prematurely and not
> going all the way across the screen like the rest of ours?

I do that manually. I've been led to believe it makes them easier to read.

> . . .
> in defense of the Constitution [read Clinton]. Hitchens is a serious man,
> valued his friendship with Blumenthal, didn't blame him for

He's got a strange notion of friendship, one I don't recognize.

> . . .
> WOODRUFF: Why did you decide to come forward now?
> HITCHENS: Well, I didn't decide to go forward. I was approached
> by the House Judiciary Committee.

yeah but if he'd kept his trap shut no Repubs would have known enough to call him. To wit:

> What I decided to do was to tell the truth, because I thought that they
> already knew the answers to the questions. I've told this story to many
> people. Many people have heard me tell it. Many have told it to me. The
> sources are usually much the same.
> I published the rest of the story in a paper in England, in London, "The
> Independent" of London in September when the truth wasn't apparently so
> toxic. So if I said, no, I've never done or heard this, it would have been
> pretty easy to make me look a fool and a liar.

perhaps so but irrelevant.

> See what Hitchens says above. He won't be made a fool and a liar
> in defense of Clinton, but he will not pull any other journalists into it;
I think>

we'll see how he and now his wife (who dropped another turd on Blumenthal with a new deposition) fare in the event they have to meet this test.

> others would have to come forward for Blumenthal to be in trouble. If
> Blumenthal incurs any more legal bills, however unlikely, Clinton
> should pay them, not Hitchens.

Not much consolation to Sid. In light of their legal expenses, the Clintons haven't much money to begin with, and there is already a legion of their assorted subordinates who are deeply in hoc for legal bills. Something perfectly obvious to the Hitchens'.

> McMuffin said Monica was stalking him while he was
> fooling around with her. Hitchens has said he doubts this Justice
> Department will look into it.

How would he know?

mbs