gay gene

Wed Feb 10 07:42:21 PST 1999

"It is worth a moment's reflection as to what sort of genetic system would be involved if it ever turned out that homosexuality is genetically determined. We would have to accomodate, within the same system of genotype/phenotype transformation, the Native American berdachs, the Celts, and the ancient Greeks, as well as the homophobic society of today's US. What sort of genetic basis could account for all of these patterns? If homosexuality were genetically determined, it would take a very complex genetic system indeed to be able to account for all these forms. On the other hand, we can say that with a great deal of confidence, although rather trivially, that if genes are involved, we all have the gay gene (since several societies are or have been almost completely homosexaul in the sense that virtually all of the males regularly engage in homosexual activities, all male members of the society must carry those genes)."

John van der Meer, Reconstructing Biology. Wiley, 1996, p. 195