gay genes

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Thu Feb 11 14:45:49 PST 1999

While it is an interesting argument below, the title, which I have altered to the plural, is unfortunate if it perpertuates even slightly a proposition that there may be a single gene behind complex behaviour. It is similar to the argument that "the gene" for schizophrenia has just been found. (But then always lost again.) There was also a search for the gene for going to sea.

There are roughly 100,000 genes in the human genome, and it has been suggested that 25,000 affect psychological and behavioural activity. The idea of just one gene is not plausible. Furthermore doubt is beginning to be cast on the idea of a direct linear effect between gene and behaviour. There are environmental mediating factors sometimes in the genes expression. Further in terms of most forms of sexual expression we are talking about a process of interaction. It therefore takes place in a matrix of assumptions and introjections arising out of a social iterative process. That's even before it comes to attention and gets conceptualized.

Chris Burford

London

At 10:42 10/02/99 -0500, Rakesh quoted: