teaching.

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Thu Feb 11 11:48:38 PST 1999

On Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:51:37 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
>Michael Yates wrote:
>
>>Well, I must say that many colleagues are pretty stupid too. Perhaps
>>you are right, best not to think about it too much. And as Carrol
>said,
>>maybe retirement is the best bet.
>
>What I don't get is how there seems to be no "economic" impact from
>this
>pervasive indifference and ignorance. How does the most
>technologically
>advanced and organizationally complex economy in the world keep
>chugging
>along when staffed by these former undergrads? Is it that we need
>maybe 5%
>of the labor force to be sophisticated with the other 95% made up of
>loyal
>drones?
>
>Doug

We should keep in mind that the US imports a great deal of its scientific and technological development from overseas. The graduate programs in math and the sciences at most major universities are filled with foreign students, most of whom stay in the US after they complete their degrees. Also, the IT industry has been pushing for new legislation to permit more programmers and software developers from overseas to come and work in the US.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]