Students, Goddamn stupid kids, etc.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 12 07:47:27 PST 1999

Alex LoCascio wrote:

>Doug could probably tell y'all better than I can about the careerism and
>willful ignorance of most UVA undergrads.

I only went to grad school there, so the only undergrads I got to know were the 60 or so I taught, but they were a deeply depressing crowd. It's what drove me out of academia in fact - I figured any place I was likely to get a job would have an even more depressing student body. Half of them couldn't write a decent sentence, three-quarters of them couldn't write a coherent paragraph, and nine-tenths of them didn't want to read anything. The only consolation was that they were so intimidated by the university honor code that I didn't have to worry about cheating or plagiarism. But as the chair of the English department said, people treated the honor code as a substitute for intellectual integrity.

Doug