students

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Fri Feb 12 08:30:46 PST 1999

sokol at jhu.edu wrote:

> Changes in college culture. I do not think that schools and colleges ever
> required anything other than following rules and instructions. Just spit
> back at the teacher what you've been told, point, clink, no think. What
> changed, however, is the college informal culture. Some 20 years ago
> being original and different was cool. Standing out of the crowd was a
> sure way of gaining popularity, meeting new people, getting into
> interesting situations. Today, however, fitting in is cool. Anyone
> perceived as being outside the mainsteram is considered a weirdo and
> avoided - conventionality rules.
>
> And since these social forces are not about to disappear, thing will most
> likely get worse, not better.

Wojtek,

These are valuable insights. Just a comment on the need to conform. It seems that kids know that the world is a harder place to survive than in the past. Where in the 60's one could opt out of the money grind somewhat and still survive, that is not possible today. Kids are living at home longer because they have limited resources to move away from home. They are channeled more into conventional paths because capitalism demands that of them to get through their lives - job propects seem limited, and to deviate from the game of survival is dangerous. The whole scare thing over social secruity not being there when they age, for instance, drives them to think that they have to get what they can, when they can and by any means, to retreat into more individualistic thinking. What does not advance survival is not of worth. This is what is saddening to me. It is a fear that drives their conformity, but it is a realistic fear given what the political economy has delivered on our doorstep.

Best, Marta