students

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 12 08:53:28 PST 1999

While we're discussing how much worse things have gotten, please indulge me a panglossian moment: the status of women has gotten lots better over the last generation. I went to a college that had started admitting women only a couple of years before I got there (and the few women who were there were occasionally called on in class to offer The Woman's perspective); now the place is around 50-50. While even I fall prey to nostalgia for the revolutionary moments of the late 60s/early 70s, women were severely discouraged from speaking; Ros Baxandall told me once of being shouted down by the men at an antiwar rally. There were "career women," but they were considered an oddity; there were "girl groups," but women weren't taken very seriously as musicians; etc. Things don't always get worse, do they?

Doug