Queer Angels of History (was RE: Butler....)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Feb 12 15:58:38 PST 1999

Angela wrote:
>Yoshie
>asked some time back whether or not butler might be thought of as
>mourning marx's death. aren't we all; or perhaps I should say, the
>only appropriate stance today is to go through a mourning that would
>allow us to critique and remember.

Not quite. I wrote: "Isn't Butler mourning 'the death of Marx'?" See, sometimes quotation marks make a crucial difference. To me, Marx has left us a living legacy, and we may still inherit the earth (hopefully in a decent working order). Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but I say, that's what makes it interesting and worth trying.

To Butler, and alas also to Foucault (much as I like his writing, which he called 'an invitation to an experience'), Marx has become 'Marx,' transformed through the mourning of '68. Post-structuralism is a dirge--melancholic and self-reflexive, seducing us to think of a temporary defeat as Death. (Music: 'Adagietto' from Mahler's Symphony No. 5. Ambience: The Vienna of Freud. Digression: Have you seen Daniel Schmid's _La Paloma_ by any chance? The film embodies the Adorno fragment you sent us: "Decadence is the nerve centre at which the dialectic of progress becomes ... bodily appropriated by consciousness.")

good mourning,

Yoshie