Soros on truth

W. Kiernan WKiernan at concentric.net
Sun Feb 14 11:19:51 PST 1999

Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

> Soros' sorrowful half truths.
>
> Th pathetic aspect of a capitalistic culture is its tendency to
> equate wealth with wisdom.
> In Chinese culture, a rich man is automatically disqualified as a wise
> intellectual. Preoccupation with counting money is considereed an
> insurmountable obstacle to the task of finding truth.

How about inherited wealth? Would that disqualify a Chinese fellow as a sage?

Also, as if worshipping the wisdom of the rich isn't stupid enough, we Americans also worship, not just the wisdom, but even the honesty of actors!

Now let's take a typical actor, what does he do for a living? He comes out on stage (or whatever) and says, "I am not really Ronnie R., even though my fingerprints say that I am. No, I am Hamlet, or Dirty Harry, or something like that." In other words, every actor is a full-time professional liar, a guy who makes his living presenting himself believably while reciting what audience and performers alike know to be plain untruths.

So when a company wants to make a advertisement, say, in praise of their particular brand of motor oil or life insurance, who do they hire to convince the public of their bona fides? A professional actor, of course? Who else would be a likelier expert on motor oil, or life insurance? And whose sincerity can you trust in better than that of an actor? And it works: the public buys it!

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

** Sancho, que te parece, cuan mal quisto soy de encantadores? **