Dum-dum bullets in NYPD

MScoleman at aol.com MScoleman at aol.com
Mon Feb 15 18:41:32 PST 1999

<< I read in American Oggi/La Repubblica that the NYPD is

or is about to get dum dum bullets (which explode

internally on impact) because

1. You bring the target down faster, reducing the need

to shoot more, hence protecting passers-by

2. The bullets don't pass through the body of the

victim thereby perhaps hitting passers-by.

The most amazing thing about Howard Safir suggesting dum dum bullets at this time, right after the Amadou Diallo shooting, is how this sounds.... I can hear him yelling at his subordinates; "God damn it, if we had used those dum dum bullets we wouldn't have fired off 41 rounds and we wouldn't have to answer charges of excessive violence and racism." It's almost unbelievable that the fucking only answer Safir has to the blatant, racist shootings of the nypd is, 'let's use different bullets'. Oh yeah, let's not train our officers not to be racists, let's not hire more minority officers, let's not prosecute bad officers, let's not change the culture of hate in the nypd, let's not demand officers reside in the city..... let's use new bullets. maggie coleman mscoleman at aol.com