Anti-Zionism does not equal Anti-Semitism

billy elgin billy_e11 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 05:44:13 PST 1999

Sean, So I take it that the decisive factor in criticizing Israeli imperialism is that it receives such a large amount of aid from the U.S. which enables it to keep on oppressing the Palestinians (and? invade Lebanon). Part of my problem is that I havent read enough about the history of the region to compare corrupt Zionists with corrupt Arab nationalists.

>From what I've heard and read (Shahak, Ha-Levi, Chomsky) Israel has
played a pretty reactionary role in the world. Eg exporting South African goods during the 80s, exporting guns to the Guatemalan military.

Personally, the religious/racist exclusion of who is a jew/law of return (being half jewish on my father's side)pisses me off and I think that the Zionist use of religios/ethnic criteria in oppressing Palestinians is despicable, but I do remember being fingerprinted when I lived in Japan because I was a foreigner and I do remember that Korean-Japanese that had lived in Japan for three generations (most of their forebears having been brought to Japan as slave laborers) were still not considered Japanese, legally or otherwise. Up unitl 1991 I believe third generation Korean-Japanese were still being fingerprinted. They also faced job discrimination. Korean-Japanese were also fairly segregated from what I remember, so I assume that there is de facto housing discrimination although I dont know what Japanese law says about that.

I also remember a number of racist/fascist bastards (many of whom are in the LDP) who if someone had shot them I would not have been unhappy.

Alex