Nasty California Imports

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 17 08:43:33 PST 1999

frances bolton wrote:

>El Jefe writes:
>>
>>It's interesting that Connerly is retreating from Florida. Is this another
>>sign, along with the impeachment failure, that the right-wing culture
>>warriors are on the ropes? In a world starved for good news, is this some?
>
>No, I don't think it is. He said he would probably move onto Maine, Arizona,
>or Nebraska.

Those states are a bit of a come-down from Florida though. And the anti-AA proposition lost in Houston, and Shrub's compassionate conservativsm could mean that all of Texas is off limits (and anti-immigrant politics plays a lot worse in Texas than California, right?). Nathan's reports on the movement galvanized by Prop 187 is also encouraging.

Hey, I'm trying to be optimistic, don't discourage me!

Doug