Weyrich retreats

jf noonan jfn1 at msc.com
Wed Feb 17 14:12:10 PST 1999

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Doug Henwood wrote:

> [More on the culture war retreat.]
>
> Wednesday February 17 3:24 AM ET
>
> Conservative Sees U.S. Cultural War
>
> By RON FOURNIER AP Political Writer
>
> WASHINGTON (AP) - One of the political right's intellectual firebrands is
> questioning whether conservatives should ``drop out'' of American culture
> and essentially declare decades of moral struggle unwinnable.
>
> ``I no longer believe that there is a moral majority,'' Paul Weyrich wrote
> in a letter to several hundred fellow conservative leaders. ``I do not
> believe that a majority of Americans actually share our values.''

Yeah, pretty funny. Just after I read this I went to lunch and turned on the radio to listen to Limbaugh. Limbaugh worships Weyrich and it was quite entertaining to listen to him try to put a positive spin on this. Since Limbaugh is not ever constrained by facts, he pretty much claimed that Weyrich didn't mean what he plainly said. And remember, Rush is Right!

Joseph Noonan jfn1 at msc.com