Fwd: THE NEW LEFT TAKES OVER AMERICAN UNIONS

Paul Henry Rosenberg rad at gte.net
Wed Feb 17 17:05:16 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [Ravings from former leftist turned high-tech booster Joel Kotkin.]
>
> THE NEW LEFT TAKES OVER AMERICAN UNIONS
>
> By Joel Kotkin, The American Enterprise magazine - Jan.(?), 99
>
> ...<SNIP>...
>
> The radicalizing tendency could also hurt labor in the long term
> by driving yet more economic growth out of urban regions such as
> New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago, where labor still wields some
> power, and into the nonunion hinterlands. As corporate demographer
> David Birch has suggested, cities are evolving a kind of
> "self-destructive political economy" in which public employees,
> left-leaning media, and race/gender-issue groups call the tune,
> to the detriment of the private economy.

Ah yes! The good old "left-leaning media" of Los Angeles, lead by the LA Times, where Kotkin is a sleep-inducing regular on the weekly Opinion page, a place so radical that the most penetrating regular--by a mile--is that old 60s radical, Kevin Phillips!

Kotkin would be hysterically funny, if only he didn't put me to sleep first.

-- Paul Rosenberg Reason and Democracy rad at gte.net

"Let's put the information BACK into the information age!"