Nasty California Imports

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Feb 17 18:06:22 PST 1999

> Michael P. asks:
> >Frances, have the compassionate conservatives taken over Florida, too?
> >Our state still hosts a stronghold of the good old nasty variety. We
> >will have the defense of marriage on our ballot soon.
> >--
> I haven't lived here long, but I get the sense that the compassionate
> conservatives haven't taken it over so much as the Repubs. joined the Dems,
> who were already compassionate conservatives. Michael H. or WDK might have
> more to say about this.
> frances

well, let's see: Florida pioneered urban enterprise zones, leads the country in number of death row imates & executions, is a 'right to work' state, has the fourth most regressive tax burden in the US, ranks 48 out of 50 in per-capita spending for primary/secondary schooling, has contracted out 'welfare to work' programs to Lockheed Martin, Disney, & Marriott Hotels, ranks fourth in garnering Pentagon $, has almost totally dispossessed black farmers, has been in the forefront of 'reinventing gov't' schemes to privatize public services, oversaw the death of the Everglades primarily because sugar-farming operations caused tons of polluting phosphorus invited weeds that choked the expansive body of water and starved much of its wildlife...most of this stuff occurred under Dem regimes, more recently through Dem-Rep 'bi-partisanship'...that'll do for starters, I guess...Michael Hoover

ps: I mentioned on this list a couple of weeks ago that Connerly had been in FL 2 years ago to much media attention and no follow-up success...