Immortality and Barbaric Racial Utopias

rc-am rcollins at netlink.com.au
Thu Feb 18 21:10:45 PST 1999

rakesh wrote:

>The logic of the modern nation state is thus less "unreal
universality", as
>Marx would have it, but barbaric racial utopias through which
community
>and immortality or the illusion thereof are secured.

why would there be a contradiction between universality (unreal or otherwise) and the particularism of 'racial utopias'? surely, the first implies the second, since any attempt to found a universality, really found it, generates exclusions that are particularistic. community, after all, is simultaneously a gesture of inclusion and exclusion. the formation of 'barbaric racial utopias' is not an accident outside of the field of the terms of universalism. they are paradoxical in the sense that particularism is always opened to contestation within a nominally universalistic frame, but not contradictory, since there are numerous ways of presenting exclusions as if they are either the effect of the other (their very presence or inability/refusal to assimilate) or as technical outcomes of a meritocratic/individuated allocation.

also, I think it is impossible to read marx's 'on the jewsih question' without reading 'the german ideology', especially:

"To speak of Feuerbach, is to speak of all philosophic labour from Bacon of Verulam up to the present; one defines at the same time the ultimate purpose and meaning of philosophy, one sees man as the final result of world history ... We have gained Man, man who has divested himself of religion, of moribund thoughts, of all that is foreign to him, with all their counterparts in teh practical world, we have gained pure, essential man".

angela