definitions of capital, centre, periphery

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Sat Feb 20 07:34:59 PST 1999

I'll try to answer the question. The concept of the centralisation and concentration of capital can be extended from capitalist companies to whole capitalist economies if you take the wider definition of capital, variable as well as constant capital, into account.

It is clear that the balance of flows favours the accumulation of this wider definition including an educated workforce with suggicient purchasing power for a mass sophisticated market, in the metropolitan imperialist countries.

Does that do violence to either marxism or the empirical data?

Chris Burford

London