LInux (Re: happy99.exe)

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Sat Feb 20 17:01:11 PST 1999

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Alex LoCascio wrote:

> Must I partition my HD in order to run DOS/Windows programs? I thought
> Linux had an emulator program?

Hmm, repartitioning your HD erases everything, I think, but you can simply use your preexisting partitions for Linux, the Red Hat installer recognizes the DOS stuff and then you can put Linux elsewhere (you might have to move your DOS stuff off your F drive and onto D). There's a neat little program called LILO (Linux Loader) which pops up on your screen when you reboot or turn your machine on, and allows you to run whatever OS you want ("DOS" for Windoze, etc.). This is cool, 'cause I can write stuff using StarDivision for hours and hours and hours and the OS won't blow up on me, like Microsloth 95 will, but then switch over and wax bug-eyed clones of Peter Lynch (you know, the kind infesting CNNfn's website, like a fungus with a haircut) from Planet Wall Street on Quake 2. There's a Linux version of Quake out there, but I don't know enough to get my soundcard working.

> How difficult is Linux to install (and partition my HD, if need be)?

I'm no hacker, but it wasn't hard with Red Hat. Took about 2 hours. The hardest part was figuring out that DOS talks about drives where Linux talks about partitions, i.e. I didn't need to repartition, just put stuff on existing partitions.

Does this sound right, to the experienced penguins on this list?

-- Dennis