Buffy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 21 16:46:35 PST 1999

First, the Buffy fans on this list persuaded me to check it out, and it is indeed a delight.

But, it runs afoul of a literary principle I worked out decades ago while reading the *Lord of the Rings* and Milton's epics.. All conscious beings are either humans or pure abstractions (the latter represente by Milton's God or Tolkien's Balrog), whether they are called elves, goblins, angels, devils, etc.

So in literary terms, the vampires in Buffy are humans, not supernatural

creatures.

And since *all* american fiction is multi-racial and includes a substantial representation of blacks (Toni Morrison is irrefutable on thisj), the vampires are African Americans.

????

Carrol