To Yoshie, and anyone interested

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 23 09:13:43 PST 1999

>I'm teaching _Lolita_ this semester and am currently rereading it (also
>playing one of the Benten groups, Lolita 18 -- definitely a ref. to that
>schoolgirl fetish you mention). I'd qualify what you say here first by
>saying that it's not teenagers' bodies but adolescent bodies and, moreover,
>the girls' adolescent body works rather differently in most social contexts
>than the boys'.

Catherine and Yoshie. This is interesting discussion, as far as I've been able to follow,(and I am having a hard time for some reason). I wonder how all this adolescent-body sexualization is tied into the desire to be fuckiing an entity that is perceived as simple, uncritical, that sort of thing. I mean it's not just the innocent bodies that have allure, right? Don't they also somehow signify the potential of unquestioning admiration and cooperation?

Also, what do you guys think of the Calvin Klien children's underwear ads, and the public response? Most, but not all, that I've seen on the news are little boys. I seem to be hearing that folks would have thought these pics ok, had not the sexualizing Calvin been associated with them.(Geez, still with the Calvinism!)

Saw Calvin on the telebision, apoligizing. Pulled the whole campaign. Wouldn't want to piss off anyone stupid enough to buy those rapidly growing bottoms his high-priced threads, eh?

I didn't see anything wrong with the ads I saw, but I'm not regularily exposed to the other ads, and know no pediphiles, that I know of, so maybe I'm insensitive.

bored by the sexualization of almost everything-Paula