Butler, Nussbaum, Paglia

Alex LoCascio alexlocascio at juno.com
Wed Feb 24 05:33:26 PST 1999

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 15:19:34 -0500 "J. Barkley Rosser, Jr." <rosserjb at jmu.edu> writes:

>Really, this is silly. Just because a reactionary attacks somebody
>does not make them great.

No, but folks on this discussion list have had no qualms about using reactionary sources like the National Association of Scholars in order to attack Butler. Just thought they'd like to know exactly what kind of company they're keeping.

>Winston Churchill was a reactionary and
>criticized Adolf Hitler.

According to Snitchens in the most recent Vanity Fair, Churchill lavished some praise on Hitler in the early days, but I get your point...

> Anybody out there going to respond to my request for an
>annotated bibliography of Judith?).

I only know of three books, and I've only read one.

Gender Trouble, which, as I hear, sees Gender identity as a social construct.

Bodies that Matter. Dunno what this is about, but I'll hazard a guess and say it has something to do with the perception of the body. :-)

The Psychic Life of Power, which was of course assigned reading on this list. Slim, readable volume which argues that identity itself is constituted by the way in which we are subjected to power. Heavy riffing on Althusser's theory of interpellation, but, and perhaps this is what disappointed so many on lbo-talk, no references to political economy, historical materialism, or the bearded one himself.

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]