James Wilson's Epistle

Michael Brun brun at uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 24 13:12:16 PST 1999

I for one find the letter very nice. As for the e-list here, there generally is a mixture of political economy/finance correspondence with cultural politics correspondence, and that mixture is intentional. We all have a lot to learn, and not just about one subject! The culture, politics and trends of the modern day cannot be accounted for by economists or movie critics alone. Like it or not, they need one another's help, and that of many others besides!

One comment on the text:

>"If and when there’s a sudden loss of confidence, then all the players will
>rush to cash in their chips at the same time to purchase real goods and
>services. As if 72 people all tried to sit down in the same chair."

Here it is important to distinguish stocks from flows. If the volume of transactions in the money markets exceed those in the "real" market by 72 to 1, does that mean that there are really 72 chips in the money market for every one in the real market? This is a complicated question. If the velocity of money--the rate at which it changes hands--is the same in both sectors, then the answer would be yes. However, the velocities are probably not the same. Indeed--and here someone who knows more than I should intervene--with computerized trading and so forth it is likely the velocity in the money market is much greater than in the real market. The chip that limps around in the real market really whizzes when it gets into the money market. If, for example, chips change hands ten times in the money market for every one time they do so in the real market, then the actual chip ratio between money and real markets would be only 7:1. That may still be an impressive ratio, but also impressively different from what we imagine it to be looking only at total amount of transactions.

Michael Brun