Tibet

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Thu Feb 25 13:37:17 PST 1999

an excellent analysis. the fact that one of the leading Free-Tibetheads, Richard Gere, recently made a virulently anti-Chinese movie very much in a Cold War-propaganda vein (forget the name of it but it was something like Red Harvest, no joke) strengthens Heartfield's point. I'd add that the Free Tibet campaign offers a way for celebrities to be anti-communist (anti-Chinese), thus pro-American, but, ludicrously and somewhat brilliantly, it allows them to be anti-materialism at the same time. Buddhism has, at least since the Beats in the 1950s, been embraced by rich white North Americans as a way to strike a pose against our oh-so-empty consumerism...as for the how-does it dovetail with our mandatory Christianity question: Hollywood stars are allowed more moral freedom than politicians. like other wealthy artists, for the last few centuries, they are allowed to do things that are just a little bit outside the mainstream. especially if, like the Free Tibet campaign, they essentially confirms mainstream assumptions and values. (E. G. communism: bad. the Orient: cute but inferior. capitalism: inevitable unless you live somewhere superbackward (eg somewhere cute but inferior)

Liza