Jobs being created

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 27 13:39:06 PST 1999

Marta Russell wrote:
>Would you say this statement is correct:
>Most of the jobs being created in the U.S. economy are low-pay service
>sector jobs.

No, I don't think that's true. Lots of new jobs are, but not all. I think there's a bifurcation in the market, with good/high paying and bad/low paying jobs being created in bigger numbers than decent/ok paying ones. The real average wage - led by the private service sector, by the way - couldn't be rising if it were just mainly low-pay jobs.

Doug