So what's the deal in China, Henry

Daniel drdq at m5.sprynet.com
Fri Jan 1 14:32:10 PST 1999

Henry's post on criticism within the CCP of the course of reform in China is the most interesting thing I've read about China in ages. Thank you, Henry. This certainly puts the "successes" of market reform in China in a different perspective.

Similarly, from another angle, one can't be in the least bit objective (i.e. unbiased) without seeing that the crowing of the West about the economic failures of communism is ridiculous. The successes of communism have been as dramatic, and obvious.

Moreover, as Henry, I think, rightfully asserts, the West does not have the moral authority to criticize human rights abuses in China.

I was thinking about all of this today in connection with another event. Is Cuba celebrating the 40th aniversary of the revolution today? I only just caught the end of a CNN blip. A few nights ago, I saw, for the second time, a Cuban movie called "Strawberry and Chocolate." It's SO GOOD. How great the Cuban revolution is! I say this not as a statement of agreement with Castro and his party. It's a statement of love for Cubans, and of the marvelous things their revolution has accomplished. Did anyone read the other day about a Cuban doctor who couldn't get into the country for a conference in California? - yet, he operates on heads of state around the world (including Mitterand and Sadam, hah-hah!) Cuban medicine competes with the most advanced in the world. They certainly match the developed world in movie arts, in quality if not quantity. I am convinced that Cuban society would be richer than North American society today if not for the embargo. Have any of you read Kennedy's "Rise and Fall of the Great Powers." According to Kennedy, throughout the modern era, beginning, say, in the 17th century, the average time for any nation to achieve super-power status, when once it decides to do so, is 6 years. What could Cuba have achieved with its people, so rich in life and spirit? Don't underestimate it.

If you must know, I love Castro. I think his reception of the Pope last year will go down in history as one of the most sublimely comical moments in history. His speech was an incomparable masterpiece. I don't know any political leader that can hold a candle to his wit and intelligence. But, it doesn't end there for me. At the same time, I wish he would step down and facilitate a retreat from the one-party state, and other things too. So what? I'd never presume to advise Cubans. It's their life. And, they're defending it against MY country (not really true, since I've seceded).

Still, on the least important level, which is philosophy and ideology, I must feel free to say that human rights obtain all over this planet. It is difficult, Henry, to treat Chinese leaders with forebearance when one hears that they employ slave labor. I appreciate their problems as the political heirs of a great revolution, in the face of Western opposition and subversion, but slave labor is not something I'm prepared to excuse on any grounds. Please understand, I am not saying that you would excuse it either. I am only saying that you may be reading more into complaints about human rights abuses in China than is intended by some of the people expressing those complaints. The views of thinking people here toward China are not necessarily as one-sided as you are describing them. I hope I'm not like that unforgettable upperclass "Lady" in "The Horse's Mouth" who keeps saying, "I think I see."

Happy New Millenium, everybody! (Well, it does begin today, doesn't it?) Quincy (since there's another Daniel on the list, I'm now Quincy)