So what's the deal in China, Henry

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 1 21:58:59 PST 1999

> Still, on the least important level, which is philosophy and ideology, I
> must feel free to say that human rights obtain all over this planet. It is
> difficult, Henry, to treat Chinese leaders with forebearance when one hears
> that they employ slave labor. I appreciate their problems as the political
> heirs of a great revolution, in the face of Western opposition and
> subversion, but slave labor is not something I'm prepared to excuse on any
> grounds.

Daniel, I agree with you about Cuba. China does not want to see slave labor also. Mush of it is being practised by enterprises created by foreign joint ventures which came to China to escape minimum wages in their home countries. It America passes a "portable" miminum wage law forbidding American companies to operate with slave labor overseas, the problem will disappear. But instead, we have people like Brad Delong who promotes the "play with my rules or you don't play" theory of trade and then turns around and accuses China of promoting slave labor. Think of it, why should the Chinese governemnt want to keep export wages down if it has an option? China want highly paid workers to provide consumer poewer for the domestic economy. It is another example of dismisinformation.

Thank for the support and encouragement.

All the best for a happy 1999,

Henry