heterodoxy

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Jan 2 08:30:53 PST 1999

<< is this guy completely out of touch with

what is going on at universities. Do you think that the average

undergraduate has even heard of the middle four of the last list of names?

In my experience, freshman and sophomore english classes usually are

dealing with Poe and Kafka; the economics class I took was remedial

algebra etc. >>

The culture wars, of which this nonsense you quote is a fair sample, are based on the false premise that the subject matter of graduate seminars in English or Comparative Lit Theory classes are of world historical significance. Of course most students of any sort haven't read any of those people or heard of most of them. Horowtizt, however, is a peculiarly stupid sort of ex-Commie. He is right to criticiszer leftists for not reading Mises and Hayek, though, and some of the other people on his list--Aron and Strauss--are pretty interesting.

--jks