Pollitt on West

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 4 07:30:22 PST 1999

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net wrote:

> Katha maintained that the book ignores 'power relations' in the family.
> Well, gender dynamics manifest themselves quite differently in "the" family
> depending on what kinds of families you're talking about. Are we talking
> here about white middle class...

Re "white MIDDLE CLASS": The internet is not the place in which this issue can be profitably debated. But I wish to put on record a proposition.

Until marxists eliminate the term "middle class" from their analyses, even from their spontaneous silent thinking, there will be no real progress in developing a material analysis of class in the u.s., no advance in the analysis of race, of gender, of any fucking thing requiring serious political analysis.

The only function the term has ever served is to confuse political thought. That is the only function it will ever serve.

Carrol