Pollitt on West

d-m-c at worldnet.att.net d-m-c at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 4 08:02:34 PST 1999

>Re "white MIDDLE CLASS": The internet is not the place in which this issue
can
>be profitably debated. But I wish to put on record a proposition.
>
>Until marxists eliminate the term "middle class" from their analyses, even
from
>their spontaneous silent thinking, there will be no real progress in
developing
>a material analysis of class in the u.s., no advance in the analysis of race,
>of gender, of any fucking thing requiring serious political analysis.
>
>The only function the term has ever served is to confuse political thought.
>That is the only function it will ever serve.

Hey Carrol, would you elaborate on this a bit more? I always think this is an interesting position and would like to hear your thoughts. One of the reasons I chose to do research on downsized exec. level managers was because I wanted to explore what happened to these people as they started to realize that they weren't any different from the working class. Is that what you mean?

Kelley