J. Hecht's post on stock market

Henry C.K. Liu hliu at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 6 01:14:22 PST 1999

Doug:

You are correct. What is even more interesting is that if you look at the earnings picture of theses 250 stocks and compare the P/E ratio of this group with that of the remaining market, you see very clearly an inflated price structure, because of earnings of the 250 are not at all impressive.

Also, the stock market is in fact predictable, but not precisely both in timing and peaks and bottoms, because those elements tend to be technically driven with dynamic wave effects rather than fundamentals. One thing is certain, the longer the bull market, the more severe the bearish correction when it comes. Depends on what the Fed does, the prospects are between a drastic crash or a relative softer, but still sever, extended landing. Abby Cohen is going to be famous for delaying the crash by 10 months, but not for turning the market around. My bet is next July or August at the latest.

Henry