J. Hecht's post on stock market

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jan 6 02:19:51 PST 1999

Henry C.K. Liu wrote:

>My bet is next July or August at the latest.

Hey, the Weekly World News, my main source of information here down in southwestern Virginia, says a great depression will begin in March. Citing the analysis of "renowned economist Thomas VanDurman," whom I've never heard of, the WWN recommends stocking up on canned food and water. VanDurman says it could last decades, maybe even 100 years. "This won't be like the Waltons, not by a long shot," says our economist. "There's just not the sense of community there was in our grandparents' time." Evidently neither VanDurman nor the WWN have sufficiently problematized the word "community."

Other features of this splendid issue of the WWN include a story about sharpshooting nuns in Colombia, tired of the narcoterrorists; the nonstop sex orgies on the island of Lesbos, favored destination for girl-crazy lesbians the world around; giant child-killing mutant rats, who come about their size and homicidal instincts thanks to toxic waste; Ed Anger's fervent denunciation of "ritzy restaurants" with their "swishy waiters and sissy sauces," a sidebar to his rant about guys who do housework (they "should be strangled with their own apron strings!"); and rebellious pets, who may be plotting against you at this very moment.

Doug