Malcolm X and building a Black Tammany Hall

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Wed Jan 6 08:48:15 PST 1999

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Ok, then, are there any radical movements that old-style lefties are
> misinterpreting now? Could it be that all the old-style lefties who
> denounce "identity politics" are reproducing the errors of 35 years ago?

Probably we are repeating past errors -- but (depending on how you define or recognize "identity politics") I don't think that would be the nature of the error. The advocates of identity politics seem to be in exactly the same position that most/all of the old style lefties (e.g., all the subscribers to this and the marxism list) are in: standing by looking for some movement or trying to will movement into existence. They are at least as apt as any of us is to miss that movement when it comes along.

Carrol