music question

W. Kiernan Wkiernan at concentric.net
Wed Jan 6 17:49:20 PST 1999

> Rob Schaap wrote:
>
> And if anyone's discovered the drugs necessary to lend form and
> substance to 'Revolution #9', I'd appreciate the tip.

Years ago I read that the on that day in 1963 the U.S. government decided to overthrow Ngo Dinh Diem, the CIA station chief in Saigon broadcast a go-ahead code message to the plotters over the radio, telling them the coup was happening right now, and the text of the radio message was: "Number nine, number nine, number nine..." I think the business about "number nine" in "Revolution #9" refers to that message.

But sometimes I misunderstand pop song lyrics. For years when Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young were actually singing

We are stardust, we are golden

We are (something something something)

And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden

I heard them singing

We are starving, we are frozen

We are pale and broken-hearted

And we've got to get ourselves back to the darkness

Woodstock was a mud pit in the rain, Nixon was President, the Vietnam War was going full-blast, and my draft lottery number was 3, so the lyrics as I heard them fit better.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

** How can you laugh when you know I'm down? - Lennon **